2/7/11

Finding Solutions

While working on Forbidden Destiny, the second book in the Forbidden Series, several factors surfaced.

At the end of Forbidden Love I left my characters hanging out in deep space, traveling at FTL toward T’Kon’s distant galaxy. The opening of the new story had to punch, as well as touch on how they came to be where they were as a reminder.

Since this story has scenes on Asconage, T’Kon’s home planet, I needed more development about that big turning point, namely, the rule of no interspecies mating. More questions. What will the Asconage Council do when T’Kon faces them? Characters and situations need to change in order for a story to develop well. So will the Council make an exception in T’Kon’s case? Will they change the rules?

I think not.

So what will happen? For the purpose of this story, I came up with an adventurous and dangerous (for the characters) idea. What if T’Kon plans a temporal leap to reset time? Lots of interesting dilemmas conflict and action could happen within this scenario. Yet I know my hero, and he will not— for long leave the love of his life behind. So now what?

And then again I could have been left with a similar conclusion as in the first book. That darn rule of no interspecies mating and facing the wrath of the Asconage Council. I had to deal with how to get around it, resolve the issues.


I was reminded of a cool series I’m watching that airs on the SyFy channel on Fridays. It’s called Merlin. In this particular Arthurian Legend, a young Merlin becomes servant to a young Arthur, because King Uther (Arthur's father) has banned magic from Camelot, and Merlin must practice magic behind the King's back,  as he protects Arthur, the future king of Camelot at all costs. We know that in Arthur’s future, Merlin the Wizard and magic are part of Camelot. 
Also, in this version, Arthur's future wife, Guinevere is working in Camelot as a servant. We know how that will eventually turn out, even though the two will not let their relationship develop because nobles cannot merry servants. Well, not yet. Even worse, only Nobles can become Knights. Things will change. One of the things I like about this series is the way hints are placed throughout alluding to what a future Camelot will be like under Arthur's rule. Even though for now Arthur adheres to his father's wishes. And he is just now developing his own way of believing. Cool premise.

So it is in my story as well. Remembering that T’Kon is the future ruler of Asconage, gave me an idea. Even though the future will find change afoot, brought about by T’Kon, I had to deal with the present situation.

Finding the right solutions that allow for changes inside a story and within the characters isn’t always easy. Working through the problems presented during the writing of  Forbidden Destiny was challenging. Though this second story is a bit heavier and shows more of T’Kon’s culture, working out the dilemmas my two lovers, T’Kon and Maya faced was an exhilarating experience for me.

Forbidden Destiny coming in 2011. If you'd like to read the blurb click the title.

Kaye

8 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

You're right. Changing rules after years of tradition wouldn't work. By doing that you also eliminate future conflict if you intend to write a longer series. It sounds as if you've reached a good solution. I know when I'm up against story problems my subconscious mulls it over and suddenly a solution pops into my mind.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I agree and I like the sound of what you've decided.

Kaye Manro said...

Shelley, as always good points from you. I like the letting the subconscious mull it over. It can work. Thanks!

Thank you Debs! Your input is always so welcome.

Kaily Hart said...

I like to let things simmer as well. I think it pays in the long run to really mull it over and be sure!

L. A. Green said...

I think one of the fun things about writing SFR is creating unique cultural traditions, and examining what impact they have on the characters or their goals, and what action the character can take to get beyond those barriers.

It sounds like you've got a great handle on the worldbuilding for T'Kons society. And it does sound like a great read.

Melisse Aires said...

Sounds interesting and I look forward to reading the story.

I find that sometimes a story or writing issue with a story just requires time for the brain to ferret out a solution that makes sense and is emotionally satisfying.

Right now in my writing I am doing stuff I never thought I'd do--rewriting the 'world' renaming terms etc.

Linda Banche said...

Whatever the writing problem, you can always figure out something that makes sense within your world. You just have to think about it a little. Nothing comes quickly!

Linda Banche said...

You can always come up with a reasonable solution if you think about it a little. Nothing comes quickly!