12/2/07

WELCOME TO THE SHOW




I've been there, I've danced it. And it is one of the most rewarding experiences ever. If you've never seen this Ballet you should. Talk about capturing the Christmas spirit and feeling like a kid again. So find a production near you and go to it. Below is something I wrote (and published in the Chinook Magazine) to commemorate a bit of Christmas writing cheer. Here's to enjoying this seasonal time of year. And always remember

THE NUTCRACKER
(Original story by E.T.A. Hoffmann; Music for the Ballet by Tchaikovsky. Circa 1892)

Spirits are high when Christmas draws near as The Nutcracker Ballet enchants us each year
I'm here with my friends 

to enjoy the show
the dancers, the music, 

the magical glow
I danced The Nutcracker 

in days gone by
The memory brings 

a clandestine tear to my eye…
As the curtain rises on a moonlit Christmas night
Music fills our senses 

ballerinas pleasure our sight
Hearts soar when Clara 

is gifted a Nutcracker toy
Then a magical wish turns 

the doll into a living Prince boy
But be wary young dancers 
for danger abounds
Mouse King will kill you 

and steal the joy you have found
but the Nutcracker Prince

 will have none of that
Summoning his toy soldiers 

he kills all the rats
Enter the Sugar Plum Fairy 
and enchanted land of sweets
Flourishing with happiness and dancers wondrous feats
As the Prince and Clara 
share an alluring Pas de duet
He tells her they will dance on forever, he promises that
Yet Snowflakes are falling 

the dream spell is calling
Clara must go home
She wakes to find her 

Prince boy
has sadly turned back into 
The Nutcracker toy
Cradling him dearly 

she dances and dreams
knowing Christmas wishes 

are always as real as they seem.

NUTCRACKER POEM 
BY KAYE MANRO

Copyright © Kaye Manro




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this show. Haven't seen it performed live since I was a little girl. I was tempted when I saw the TV commercials for this!

okay, what did blogspot do? You can't post as "other" with your URL anymore, just this nickname thing, which is kinda close to anonymous! (I don't want a google account!)

(Wordpress!!! Hint!!!)

Kaye Manro said...

Suzanne, I don't know what's up with blogspot. And I wouldn't want a google account if I were you either. I'll see if I can find out, though as bad as I am with tech stuff I'm not sure I'll be able to figure it out. Okay, got it-- others have told me to use wordpress too... (sigh)

Anonymous said...

I love the Nutcracker. It always brings back such happy memories for me. I like your poem. It captures the show so well.

Anonymous said...

Sweet poem, Kaye! I always have loved the Nutcracker ever since I was a kid. Makes you want to get up and dance, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

From one dancer to another: This is beautiful, Kaye. Thanks for helping keep the Nutcracker alive and well in the hearts of all. See you at the show.