12/15/16

SFR SHOWCASE



The setting for my latest holiday book is the 1960's. At that time there was no such thing as digital photography. The Kodak Brownie Auto 27 was one of the most popular cameras of the day. Here is a scene with Nick and Krista from my Christmas story, Almost Homeas they play with her new Brownie.

****

...“Where’d ya get that camera Krista?”

“Present from my parents.” She snapped another picture of him coming toward her.

“Can I see it?”

She handed it to him.

“This is the Brownie Auto 27. Nice little camera. Now it’s my turn.” He focused the lens on her.

She did several turns then stopped, tossed her long hair over her shoulder and winked at him.

“Great one,” he said and snapped several shots. He lowered the camera and stared at her. “God you’re so beautiful.”

“I’m not,” she said. “Now give me that Brownie.”

“Right on, Krista. You’re the prettiest girl I’ve ever known. Big brown eyes and long golden hair. And lest I forget that kissable mouth of yours. Just beggin’ to be ravished.” He came toward her and snapped a close-up.

Near enough for her to grab the camera from him.

“Got it,” she said laughing. He tried to get it back but she slipped by him and ran into the bedroom.

“Ahh, bad idea.” He caught her, pushing her face down onto the bed. The camera trapped beneath her. She shoved her body into his, rolled and did a quick scissor kick over his head. His eyes grew wide.

“Don’t mess with a dancer.” She grinned and snapped another picture of him.

“I’m not done yet.” Nick caught her by the waist, swung her around, wrestling her back onto the bed. He captured her beneath him and lay on top of her, his face not inches from hers and held her still. “Don’t mess with a musician. We’re stronger than we look, girl.”

“You can say that again,” she relaxed under him and put the Brownie aside.

“You win Nick Zelmenis.” She ran her fingers across his smooth face. “I love you,” she told him.

He smiled at her and sent her a thought. I love you more.

Not possible, she sent back to him.

The two shared an uncanny ability to communicate with each other.

They’d learned it at the Metaphysical Village when they were teens. ‘Transferring thought forms’ is what the teacher had called it in the telepathy class where she and Nick first met. Even back then Nick was really good at it.

His lips traced across hers. I wanna make love to you. He whispered across her mind...

****


For a chance to win a copy of Almost Home or a $5. Amazon eGift Card leave your contact information in the comments.

Have a great Holiday!

Kaye Manro


Link to the other authors in the Showcase HERE



© copyright Kaye Manro 2016



31 comments:

Dee Pauley said...

Hi Kaye, Just taking a moment to say hello and tell you I enjoyed reading Almost Home. My contact info is dianne37 (at) gmail.com

Kaye Manro said...

Thanks Dee! Glad you liked Almost Home. Have a good holiday.

bn100 said...

nice scene

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Shari Elder said...

Fun excerpt. Perfect for the holidays. Happy holiday. sharielderbooks at gmail dot com.

Kaye Manro said...

Hi Shari, glad you stopped by and liked the excerpt! Thanks.

bn100, thanks! Stop by anytime.

Lea Kirk said...

Ah the good old days when we had film. lol.

Would love to be entered. LKirkAuthor at aol dot com

Happy holidays!

Kaye Manro said...

Good to see you here, Lea! Thanks for stopping. You're entered!

Reha Wilkie said...

Hi Kaye, Cool scene just imagine if a time traveler transported back with a iphone in hand. Can you imagine what the reaction would be to it? let a lone the fact there was no such thing as internet or even a personal computer for that matter. How far we're come in such a short time. Wonder where these ideas for development came from? rehawilkie@gamil.com

Kaye Manro said...

Hi Reha you make some good points here. Spoiler alert There will be more in the Soul
Love Series on the tech development subject. Stay tuned.

Smita said...

wow......love the excerpt

Kaye Manro said...

Thank you Smita. So glad you liked the Almost Home excerpt. Have a great holiday!

Aurora Springer said...

I enjoyed your story!
Have a super holiday!

Kyndra Hatch said...

That was a nice, sexy, excerpt. ;) My contact info is: kyndrahatch at gmail dot com.

Greta said...

Oh gosh. A photography excerpt. I remember the 1960's cameras. Yes, it's all different now.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Kaye Manro said...

Hello Aurora, glad you enjoyed it! Thanks. Have a wonderful holiday.

Kaye Manro said...

Hi Kyndra, clad you stopped by and thanks. Have a very happy holiday!

Kaye Manro said...

Greta, I know exactly what you mean! I loved doing the research for this story, and I thought the Brownie was really cool. Have a wonderful picture-taking holiday!

Pippa Jay said...

Great to see you back, Kaye. Merry Christmas!

Kaye Manro said...

Thank you Pippa! It's good to be back around our own galaxy.
Have a great Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun.
clarkmci at aapt dot net dot au

Kaye Manro said...

Anon, it is fun. Holiday wishes.

Carmen Webster Buxton said...

I have two kids old enough to drink legally and I don't think either of them ever owned a non-digital camera. And of course these days they mostly use their phones. Hard to take a selfie with a Brownie!

Merry Christmas!

Kaye Manro said...

Hi Carmen, nice to see you here. Cell phone cameras are so good now. It sure would be harder with a Brownie to take a selfie! And think about how much harder it was then to connect with people. Unless you could mind link like my characters in Almost Home do! But truly, tech has surely changed our lives. Have a great holiday.

Athena Grayson said...

OMG, aren't the 60's just full of fun stuff we can play with as authors? I have a few novellas that take place in the early 70's and the research for them was more like playing in a brain-playground than doing work! :) Have a great holiday, and I think Kodak might actually be coming out with a modernized version of the Brownie camera again, for nostalgia's sake! I found a Polaroid camera the other day in a local store (that *wasn't* an antique shop. It blew my mind and freaked my kids right out--hilarious!)

Kaye Manro said...

Athena, wow glad you brought that up! I would love to have a Brownie. Oh the sixties are just so much fun to research and a great place to set stories. I sometimes wonder how humans survived without all our tech. Fun time, the sixties.
Have a great holiday!

Veronica Scott said...

Interesting concept for a story, enjoyed the excerpt! Happy holidays and best wishes with the release.

Kaye Manro said...

Thank you Veronica! That's really a compliment coming from you. Have a stellar holiday.

Pauline B Jones said...

Oh, the Brownie!! Takes me back! Fun excerpt! Happy holidays!

Kaye Manro said...

The Brownie is great isn't it! Glad you stopped by Pauline. Have a great holiday!

Billy said...

Hi Kaye, I really liked the bit about the Kodak Brownie camera. You still see them from time to time in antique shops. Sadly even if they worked I bet it would be hard to find film for them. The advent of the digital age has made many things obsolete. Don't get me wrong, I love the modern tech. And by the way what was that I read about tech in your comments? A spoiler you say. Tell us more.
Billy

Kaye Manro said...

Hey Billy, I wondered if you were going to comment, glad you did. Some photographers still do use real film like my friend Paige. The Brownie did use a special kind of film, not like 35 mil film. And about the spoiler alert, you can be my beta reader for the main Nick and Krista book, Remember Him Yesterday. That way you'll get to see what happens first. Deal?

Have a great holiday Billy!