8/17/10

Welcome D. L. Jackson!

My very special guest today for the Out Of This World Blog Tour is D. L. Jackson, a fellow SFR author. I'm glad she stopped by to  share a few of her  ideas and excerpts from her new Anthology, Blown Away which will release soon from Passionate In Print.   It features two stories, Detonate and Happy Trails. Both stories. sound great.  So stick around and enjoy this intriguing author.

D.L also promises a surprise giveaway of her recently published book, Slipping The Pasta futuristic apocalyptic/urban fantasy romance published by Liquid Silver Books. Let me tell you, I'm reading Slipping The Past now and it is fantastic. So for those who leave a comment on this post, you could be the lucky winner! 

Take it away, D. L.!

Since Blown Away is a two story anthology, it gave me a chance to write two different types of personalities for my heroes. When I sat down and started writing, the first thing I thought about was who my heroines were. What was their past? What made them become the women they were? Then I threw in a hero opposite to their personality.

In the first story, Detonate, the hero is a beta. He’s not the dominant male that has to control everything. He’s easy going, intelligent, but not a pushover. He’s your right hand man, a person you’d want to watch your back when laser bolts are flying. All his life he’s wanted a family, someone to love and grow old with. My heroine has lost everything. She’s jaded, given up on happiness and for lack of a better description, a miserable bitch. She pushes, he pulls and through this tug-o-war, something deeper ignites and though the hero isn’t the traditional alpha hero seen in romance, he’s the perfect man for the heroine, Alice MacKay. Here, MacKay is learning a little about Boomer’s tragic beginning and that she isn’t the only one who has lost.

“My mother was on a Regillion flight headed to Odroxia. One of the engines failed. They attempted to make an unscheduled landing and crashed instead. They managed to save me with an emergency cesarean, but she’d had both her legs torn off and bled out too fast to stabilize

“Is that why she named you Boomer?”

“Yeah, kind of. Actually she said booma, which if the emergency techs understood Droxy, they’d know she was asking for help. I guess Boomer stuck, cause that’s what they tacked on my birth certificate.”

“What about your father?”

“Never knew him. Only a handful of people survived the crash and none of them knew my mother. Seventy-six people lost their lives that day. They couldn’t get enough data on my family to locate relatives or give me a last name. My mother is listed as unidentified female on the coroner’s report, a suspected stow-away. I looked more Terran than Droxy so they put me on the first ship to Earth, and since nobody wants a cross-breed, I grew up in an orphanage.”

“You never searched for relatives?”

“How was I supposed to find them? Nobody knows who she was. She didn’t purchase passage so there was no record. I don’t even know my parent’s names or if I had any brothers or sisters. Nobody claimed her body—or me.”

“I’m sorry. I wouldn’t have said what I did about your mother if I knew.”

“Don’t be sorry, I’m not. I never knew my parents, but that doesn’t mean my life was bad. I was treated well. I grew up okay.”

“It must be hard not knowing where you came from.”

“I know who I am. That’s what’s important. Speaking of which, who are you Alice MacKay, who defuses bombs and reads children’s books?”

In my second story, Happy Trails, the heroine is a prissy debutante in hiding on a mining ship. She comes from a world where women are expected to behave in a certain manner, one that's at odds with her enviroment. When she meets Tyson Rivers, all bets are off. In this excerpt, circumstances have my hero and heroine on the run on a planet called Trios. Tyson is all alpha male. He’s strong and knows what he wants. Nothing gets in his way. Below, they’ve hijacked a Trios Forester’s vehicle and have ended up in an alien river, literally up a creek without a paddle.

“Swim?” Jenna said and eyed the hole in the cliff ahead, the same hole the river disappeared into. This wasn’t good. She cranked on the hover’s ignition again. Nothing. She smacked the dash and looked over the side. Gods, that was gross.

“You can swim?” Tyson asked.

“I’ve never been in a river. I’ve been in the water, taken showers.”

“You can’t swim.”

“I can swim—it’s just…” She shook her head. “It’s dirty. I can’t. It’s hard to explain.”

He grabbed her pack, unzipped it and stuffed the contents into his. Tyson shrugged into it and buckled the strap at his waist. He grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet. “Let’s go.”

“I can’t jump.” Jenna yanked away and looked over the side again. “It’s nasty.” The water, a deep indigo, matched the sand that glittered on the bank. The sapphire crystals were considered gemstones on most worlds. On Trios, they were nothing more than pretty silica and one of the biggest draws to tourists. She could appreciate gemstone beaches—at the ocean. Here? There was no way she was going in.

“You’ve no choice. You have to jump before this hover hits the cliff.”

“We’ll have to find another way.”

“Not a problem.” Tyson shoved and she went overboard.

Two heroes, two stories. Blown Away is scheduled to be released in November with Passion in Print and will be available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other book outlets in either print or eNovel.

D L Jackson

~~~~~~~~~~~~

To learn more about D. L. Jackson and her books, visit her blogs at Paranormal Lists and Backward Momentum.  She can also be found on the SFR Brigade.

And don't forget to leave a comment on this post to be eligible to win a PDF download of Slipping The Past.

Thanks for visiting today, D.L.!

Kaye

24 comments:

Pauline B Jones said...

Fun insights into the character creation process. It is fun to mesh characters in a way that one character is strong where the other is weak. Together they become able to overcome obstacles that would overwhelm them on their own.

Marva said...

I like your dialog-only style. So, sign me up, D.L. for the book giveaway. I look forward to guesting on your blog on the 21st.

Catherine Bybee said...

This does sound interesting.

Lisa Lane said...

You have a great creative process and I love your writing style. More books to add to the TBR pile.... ;-p

Bamika Easterman said...

This sounds great. I love post apocalyptic alpha male loving adventure! Yay!

Sandra Stixrude said...

Oh, D. L., these were such perfect picks to showcase your heroes! I have to confess, I LOVE a Beta hero. All the Alphas after Alphas leave me tired sometimes - nice to have a hero who's confident in himself but doesn't feel like he has to prove something all the time.

Melisse Aires said...

Both stories have engaging characters. Congratulations on your release!

D L Jackson said...

I'm so excited with my sci fi, bomb squad romance series. I've got two others I'm working on at the moment that link into the first two stories. They are Bomb Voyage and The Infamous Ava Frost (a villian romance told as the main female character faces execution at the age of 80. Don't worry, even a villian can have a HEA and redeem themselves) The last story is a love story I've wanted to tell for a long time.

You're so right, Pauline. Opposites attract and they can certainly make the sparks fly.

Yes, Sandra, Betas need love too and sometimes they're overlooked as heros. I love a man who doesn't have to prove anything, who can relax and isn't afraid to be himself.

Yeah, you caught me, Marva. I love dialog, but I'm also an action fanatic and I promise fast pace and lots of action with the romance in my Blown Away series. Excited to have you on the blog and see whatcha you're going to post too.

Bamika, if you love the post apocalyptic, you'll love Gabriel, my reaper, a futuristic enforcer in Slipping the past. Here's a quick blurb about the book I'm giving away.

Some love affairs last a lifetime…others never end.

Fifty years into the future, if you’re one of the damned, you don’t run for your life, you run to save your soul. Jocelyn Miller is wanted for crimes she committed before she was born. Homeless, blind and out in the elements on one of the coldest nights of the year, her desperation results in a bad decision. When Jocelyn and her brother Nate rob a convenience store, Jocelyn comes face to face with her worst nightmare and greatest love, a reaper named Gabriel.

Gabriel Solaris is an Enforcer, a genetically enhanced psychic often referred to as a reaper for his ability to take souls, and he’s charged with collecting Jocelyn’s. When he finds Jocelyn outside the store, he’s sure she’s up to something illegal. Proving it isn’t necessary. He holds a warrant and it’s all he needs. But the closer Gabriel gets to Jocelyn, the more he begins to question his duty and why he believes her claims of innocence. When Jocelyn tells him she loved him once, Gabriel loses control and kisses her. Instead of taking her soul, he gives her a week to prove innocence in her past-life crimes, something he has no authority to grant.

Lisa, thanks for hosting this blog tour. It's been a lot of fun and of course we all get the chance to talk about our favorite things. Sci fi, romance and the universe.

Kaye, thank you for having me on your blog and I hope you enjoy Slipping the Past. I loved writing it.

D L Jackson said...

Thank you, Melissa. This series started because of my Marine son, who told me he was considering EOD.
Of course I had to research everything about it. I think often fear comes from what we don't understand and even though the research didn't make me feel cozy, it gave me a greater understanding of what he could possibly be doing.

He decided not to do it, which is fine with me, but wow, I had to tell the stories of these brave men and women and what better way than to take it to other worlds and into space.

Faith said...

Blown Away sounds like a story that will make you hang on tight for a wild ride!

D L Jackson said...

:)

Laurie Green said...

Great interview, D.L. Just wanted to pop in and say how excited I was about your series idea. SFR meets the bomb squad. How cool is that?

(You don't need to enter my name into the drawing, oh CP, since I already know and love SLIPPPING THE PAST. Let someone else have a chance to read this great novel.)

Arlene said...

Great interview, Dawn, and I echo Laurie's remarks.

LORETTA CANTON said...

Sign me up for the contest.I love yoour men and cannot to read this.


lorettaC
lbcanton@verizon.net

Kat said...

I really enjoyed this. And you also have a beautiful cover.:-)

Barbara Elsborg said...

Great interview, Dawn. I don't need the book - I already have it!!!

D L Jackson said...

Hello, IPs. Thanks for stopping by.

Rebecca Leigh said...

Congrats on your upcoming release, sounds great! I absolutely love the title and cover for Slipping the Past :)

Debs said...

This sounds fascinating. Congratulations to DL.

Cate Masters said...

Loved the excerpt, DL. And I love the premise for Slipping the Past.

Kaye Manro said...

Thank you for visiting my blog on The Out of this world blog tour, DL. I really enjoyed having you here!

And to everyone who left a comment. DL will announce the winner on Friday!! So stay tuned.

Cari Quinn said...

Great post! Congratulations, D.L., on your release!

Shelley Munro said...

They sound like interesting stories. I really liked the first one. :)

D L Jackson said...

Loretta Canton, you're the winner. I pulled your name from the hat and Slipping the Past will be in your email tonight. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

A big thanks to Lisa for organizing this tour and to Kaye for her gracious hospitality.