4/26/10

Welcome Wendi Zwaduk!

Please join me as I welcome my special guest  Wendi Zwaduk! I've known Wendi for a while as we cross each other in blogland. Today Wendi is featuring her very first novel,  
Right Where I Need to Be available from The Wild Rose Press on April 30 in both eBook and print.

In addition to the fantastic excerpt and blurb from Right Where I Need to Be, Wendi shares some of the most important things she wished she'd known before she became an author. This is what she had to say.

Wendi, over to you!

When people find out I write, they have tons of questions. They want to know it all... where’d I start, how long to be published, how much money am I making (yeah, that one cracks me up each time), and why did I start? Trust me, there are more, but here’s my list of my top five things I wish I’d known:
1. If you’re writing to make lots of money, you’re in the wrong business. I’m not saying you can’t make a decent amount writing, but if your motivation is to make lots of cash, forget it. If you love the story and want to get it out there, there is more gratification in knowing the reader is happy. Cash helps, but it’s not everything.

2. Writing with an agenda doesn’t do you any good. Once, I wrote a story that was big on celibacy until marriage. It’s a good concept. But, instead of telling the story in a natural fashion, I forced the character to preach about the topic. Editors and readers know when you’re standing on your soapbox under the guise of writing.

3. Critique Partners are a necessary evil. A friend will tell you a story is great and so you send it to an editor who says, “Nope. Story isn’t great.” Enter tears and irritation. Critique Partners can save you this grief. I sent the same story polished story to a CP. She got out the dreaded red pen. But, I’m glad she did. I saw where I made mistakes, got wordy, and told rather than showed the story. A CP is worth the strife.

4. Editors really aren’t evil or out to get you. I sent my first submission to a big name publisher and two years later got the form letter rejection. Then I subbed to another editor who reminded me to keep plugging away. That tells me she’s not out to get me. She said she’d rather buy stories than reject them. I realized, she meant if you get it in gear, yes, send me more of your stuff. But, if you’re rejected, thank them and move on. You never know, you might want sub to them again.

5. Just keep plugging along. If you are knocked down by a rejection or a rough set of edits don’t give up. I got a whole slew of rejections on my early work, heck I still get them. I’ve learned to equate writing to a sport. Keep plugging along. The more you practice, the better you’ll be. It may take some time, but practice in writing does make perfect.

These are only a few things I’ve learned on my journey to publication. Most importantly, if you love writing, don’t give up.


Blurb for Right Where I Need To Be:

Logan Malone needs an acting job and fast. With his string of broken hearts, his professional life lies in shambles. To resurrect his career, he must audition for a television role which could be the job of a lifetime.

Cass Jenson needs an actor for her made for TV movie. The previous actor dropped out, leaving her stranded. Her savior shows up looking sinfully sexy and totally right for the part, but what part is she auditioning him for - her movie or her bed?

Excerpt from Right Where I Need To Be:

Logan’s hand caressed her shoulder. “Can I help you finish? You and your friend should be sipping margaritas and ordering the lawn boy around, not sweating yourselves to death.”

She raised her brows. “You thought being a movie star meant you were entitled, that’s what.”

A wolfish grin curled his lips. Flecks of gold lit his hazel eyes, sending a fresh rush of lust to her core. He leaned in very close to her ear. “Maybe.”

She took a fortifying breath and fought the urge to taste him. Damn that cologne. Her heart skipped a beat. She donned her best sultry smile. Two could play his game. “Really?”

He nodded. She licked her dry lips. How could one man be so irritating and damn sexy at the same time? She scooted close enough so her bare knee brushed against his denim-clad thigh. Firm muscles without an ounce of fat. Ooh. “Do you want to explore?”

“Uh-huh.”

Cass took his hand, teasing his palm with her fingers and caressing the creases in his skin. His voice went from friendly to sexy in an instant, making her thighs quiver with excitement. “Cass.”

“Yes.” She bit her bottom lip and filled his hand. “Okay. Explore to your little heart’s content.”

His eyes opened wide before he scrunched his brows. “Keys?”

Cass grinned. “Yep.”

His blank expression turned into a frown. “For what?”

She patted his thigh and stood up. “The mower. Tell me when you finish. I’ve got an acre in the back that’s got your name on it."

Right Where I Need To Be available from The Wild Rose Press
Visit Wendi's Blog and Web Site

Wendi will be giving away the winner’s choice of either an eBook copy of “Right Where I Need to Be” or “Learning How to Bend” (her newly released erotic romance from Total-E-Bound) to one randomly drawn commenter from the tour.

Thank you for blogging with me, Wendi. Congratulations on both new releases!

Kaye

12 comments:

Kat said...

Great advice Wendi and I really enjoyed the blurb and excerpt. I wish you a ton of sales.:-)

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Thanks Kay for having me here. Love the blog. You crack me up.

And thanks to Kat for stopping by. Enjoy Right!

Suzanne Jones said...

Looks like a terrific read - it's going on my shopping list.

:-)

Bookie said...

Great excerpt. It put a smile on my face.

J.A. Saare said...

Hey Kaye and Wendi!!

Both stories sound fantastic, Wendi. I hope you have much success and many sells!!

April 30th is so close. Do you have a print copy of Right Where I need To Be in your hand? ;)

Kaily Hart said...

Hey Wendi, good to see you here! Congratulations on your first book! I can't imagine how it must feel. I wish you much success and many sales. The excerpt sounds fabulous. It's on my list. Very good advice too!

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Had lots of errands today and took me forever to get back to the puter.

Jaime, yuppers, I do have copies in my hands and it feels wonderful.

Suzanne, hope you enjoy! I think it's terrific, but I'm biased. Hee Hee

Bookie, thanks for stopping by. Glad you liked the excerpt.

Hey Kaily, glad to see you here too. Hope you like the book and good luck to you too. :)

Cari Quinn said...

Excellent advice, Wendi. Right Where I Need To Be sounds great. I love that title because it makes me think of Gary every time I read it. Wishing you lots of success!

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Thanks Cari, glad to see ya here! The title is an inside thing with DH too cause in the dedication, I mention him. But also, every time I hear the song, I think of planes which makes me think of DH.

Carol L. said...

Hi Wendi and Kaye,,
Congrats on your first "book" Wendi.
I think your tips are very helpful for would be writers. I loved your blurb. :)Right Where I Need To Be is now on my TRL.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Laurann Dohner said...

Very good advice and this book sounds terrific! Congrats!!!

Kaye Manro said...

Thank you so much for being here on Monday, Wendi! And for taking over the comments while I was out of town!

Thanks to all who stopped by to welcome Wendi and wish her well in the sale of both her new books!