4/5/10

Crash! Crash! Crash! My Castle Is In Ruins...

My castle is turly in ruins.

No, not just in my creative imagination as depicted in this photo. Though the plot in the very time travel romance I'm working on centers around the ruins of a castle like this one.

This is real life stuff.

First a few weeks ago, my beloved laptop computer crashed and it was a harrowing experience to say the least. Crash!

Then a few days ago, my fridge just decided to stop working. Now I admit it is old, but I depended on it since I don’t do a lot of cooking. Crash!

Now for the biggie—I was walking through my living room on April 1, yes, April Fools Day. I heard this odd cracking noise. I looked up to see part of the ceiling starting to fall. I just got out of the way in time. An entire section of ceiling came crashing down. Funny thing was it fell in an exact square, about five by four feet in size (maybe bigger) right in front of the fireplace. My living room looked like an earthquake had hit it. Dust and debris scattered everywhere. Crash!

An April Fools joke? No. It really happened.

I’m not one to wallow for long in the bad stuff. At least after the shock wears off.

So here are the positive things that came after all the crashing. I’ll start with number three first.

3. I have a smaller fridge that I can use until I get a new one. I also have a new computer to work on. 

2. No one got hurt during the ceiling crash. Nothing else got broken. And best of all, my cats, who often sleep in the very chair by the fireplace where all the debris landed were safe in the kitchen looking for food.

1. Here's a great positive.
I got my book cover for FORBIDDEN LOVE - Yes! It still needs a tiny bit of tweaking before I can show it to the world, but it came on Saturday! I can’t wait for everyone to see it—it is so beautiful!

And another thing—I am working on a new Sci-fi page for my website. It’s going to be beautiful too. I’ll share it with everyone as soon as it is finished.

This just goes to show that life is always a big surprise, with a mixture of good things as well as bad.

Kaye

15 comments:

Laurann Dohner said...

OH Man. Well, you've had your share of bad luck this year so hopefully no more! Did you find out why the ceiling fell and I hope you had home owners that covered it!

Sarah Simas said...

Kaye!! Oh, my goodness! I'm so glad to hear everyone was OK. How truly scary. I really admire your grit. I'd need at least a pound of chocolate and a liter of diet coke to feel back to rights.LOL

I can't wait to see your cover! How very exciting! :) I'm glad you found the silver lining. You're an awesome lady!

Kat said...

Sorry about all the disasters Kaye but thankfully no one was hurt as you said. Can't wait to see your cover. I have been dying ot see it for months.:-) Who did you get as your cover artist?

Clare Dargin said...

Your ceiling crashed? Are you in california? Did it have anything to do with the 7.2 earthquake.

Glad everything turned out all right especially with the kitties and you getting your book cover and all.

Guard that laptop too!

Btw hope your house is good as new now.

Debs said...

That's three things, so hopefully you only have positive events to look forward to now.

Amber Skyze said...

You've had your three so hopefully the bad things are over. It sounds like some good stuff came from it though. Glad the cats weren't hurt or anyone.
Can't wait to see your cover.

April Vine said...

Kaye, so glad no one was hurt!
Can't wait to see your cover!!
Take care

Linda Banche said...

Wow. I'm glad those bad things didn't turn out as bad as they might have. You (and your cats) have great luck or great timing since you weren't caught under the ceiling when it collapsed.

Congrats on your cover. We're waiting to see it!

Kaye Manro said...

It's just wonderful to have such good friends who are concerned. Thanks to you all for being here.

Yes, I can't wait to share my Forbidden Love book cover too!

Suzanne Brandyn said...

Hi Kaye,
I will also be looking forward to May the 2oth. :)

I like your attitude, it's similar to mine. Thank heavens you didn't get hurt. It's amazing sometimes how good comes from bad in the ups and downs of life.

Waiting patiently for the cover here. lol.

Suzanne :) oh there's that shed lady, must go and visit her site. :)

J.A. Saare said...

Hey Kaye,

I'm so glad no one was hurt! That's pretty scary.

I can't wait to see your beautiful cover. I know you have to be excited! ;-)

Ashley Ladd said...

I'm glad you're all okay. I see a spot or two in my ceiling I need to fix before it comes down, too.

Cari Quinn said...

Oh no, Kaye! Glad all is okay now. And I'm so excited to see your cover! Yay! :)

Kaye Manro said...

Yes, girls it was a daunting thing. But I'm recovering nicely now. Thanks everyone.

Good to see you here Ashley! I'm glad you stopped by.

As for my FL book cover-- it is now moving closer to its showing day!

Lin said...

Hello Kaye,

I too am saddened by the string of things that wanted to play havoc with your spirit.

I know how sometimes it seems like every turn you make seems to bring a new leaf of blight to further make you wish you had just stayed in bed that day, week, month, year...but your new cover, an exciting and very expressive cover also dropped from the Fates at the same time all this other stuff was happening.

The most important thing is you, your family and your beloved kitties were not harmed.

Kat and I (I am Kat Holmes' mom, btw) have two cats that allow us to think we own our home when in truth they queen it over on us and let us bask in their radiance. I know how devastated Kat and I would be if anything happened to them.

Given all you have been going through, I want to especially thank you for taking the time to come onto my own blog and commenting on my book cover.

This is my very first contract, so I am like someone who has been inhaling helium...my head is in the clouds, my body is on autopilot and I am still trying to scrape my flabbergasted jaw back up from the floor. Kat sent my little manuscript to the editor the evening on March 28th and I got my contract the morning of March 29th. That of and by itself seemed liek such a miracle, but to then have you come into my blog and congratulate me and praise my daughter shows you to be a woman of immense kindness, compassion, and generosity.

Kat speaks of you often and I know she absolutely adores you. It is easy to see why.

Thank you again and I hope for a speedy reversal of residential fortunes where your home is concerned, but know your cover will net you a lot of interest. It is stunning!

You take care, Dear Lady.