2/20/10

Oh Those Pheromones!

Scent of a Man...

What makes us sizzle and squirm when a hunky man comes near? Is it his looks, or something more? Granted our heroes often sport to die for good looks with toned and strong muscled bodies, sculpted Adonis features. They also must exude a chemistry sex appeal that can send a heroine out of her mind.

Admittedly, a hero kind of sexy man is the ultimate boost to a libido. And I truly love my sexually charged characters that move heaven and earth to be together. That’s the fantasy. That’s what makes our stories good and I love it.

But let’s get real. In life, the romance hero type isn’t typical. Do we truly want him if he is? Usually, falling in love brings its own kind of chemistry to the table. Our lover is the ultimate for us even if he doesn't quite manage the pseudo hunky hero look we create and read about in our scorching romance stories.


Here’s the question. Can the scent of a man make you fall in love no matter what? Do sexy pheromones turn an ordinary man into a mysterious love creature? How much of a role does chemistry actually play in the initial attraction?

13 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Recently I watched a show where they got three women to smell three T-shirts to test out pheromones. It was interesting because one of the women and one of the T-shirt owners were brother and sister. In a blind test she actually rated her brother's T-shirt at the bottom and all three women picked the same T-shirt as their favorite. They said the sister shouldn't like her brother's T-shirt because it would smell similar/familiar to her. Of course, it was a small test, but it was interesting.

Debs said...

I think the scent of a man is important and does make a difference regarding attraction.

I thought the test Shelly mentioned was so interesting.

Linda Banche said...

I think a man should smell clean. When they sweat, they smell bad, and I mean really bad. No one can tell me a sweaty male is sexy. Go take a shower!

Kaye, if you'd like another blog award (you don't have to take it), I've listed you for the "Happy 101 " award on my blog.

Cari Quinn said...

Very interesting topic! I'm very sensitive to smell. Not sure if I believe a scent can make you fall in love no matter what, but I wouldn't be surprised if it made you fall in lust. ;)

Shelley's comment about the show she watched is fascinating!

Suzanne Brandyn said...

lol. Good ol' Pheromones.

Scent does play a part, but it doesn't make us fall in love. It is the whole of a person we fall in love with.

Kaye Manro said...

Great response, Shelley!

Scent is sexy, Debs.

Linda, sweat does stink, but it's fun to pretend it doesn't, lol.

Good answer, Cari-- lust is fine with me!

Suzanne, agreed-- love is so much more than a smell!

I love all the answers here!

Christina Phillips said...

LOL i have a very sensitive nose when it comes to bad smells so Linda's comment made me giggle!!! I don't know if the scent of a man could make me fall in love no matter what. I fell in love with my future husband's blue eyes (from across the room!!) and kind of went on from there!!!

Suzanne Jones said...

Great post. I think scent is very important - I could never be attracted to a man who didn't smell good.

Kat said...

My brother is a welder. It's a tough and demanding job physically. To put it bluntly, when he comes home from work he's covered in black gunk and he stinks. His wife Elsie won't even kiss him hello until he showers. I don't think scent is the very first thing we notice about a guy, but it does play a big role. No one wants to get up close and personal with a stinker.

Kaily Hart said...

I think scent is important, but not THE most important thing. I'm not sure it's even one of the first things we notice. Personally, I like a clean, just showered with soap smell. That is the ultimate sexy.

Kat said...

I don't mind cologne on a guy, but I hate the really overpowering stuff. But then I hate really overpowering perfumes too. LOL

Obe said...

Well, I prefer my man not to smell like a nasty old t shirt LOL and true some colognes are nice. I don't want to be over powered. But I find its something about the eyes that attract me. Like the little lines that make them seem like they are smiling back.

Nan

eula_w said...

WOW Those hunky man looks great!

Human pheromones really makes turn an ordinary man into a mysterious love creature.