8/15/09

Magical Openings


“What is Magic anyway? I’ve never done this sort of thing before. Is it for real?”

I thought that sounded like an intriguing opening line for a story. Provocative and kind of makes me want to know more.

I've been doing research into magical elements since I have a bit of magic in a story I'm writing. The above would be a great opening line for the chapter leading into the magic and spells part of my story.

It's interesting but not surprising that much of the magical stuff I'm finding has to do with love spells. So just for fun, I've included a spell to make someone love you.
Seriously! Following is what it says to do:

A most powerful spell when initiated on a New Moon Friday.

1. Blend honey, Jasmine flower water, orange flower water and rose flower water in a shallow bowl

2. Place a pink votive candle in the center of the bowl

3. With a rose thorn, scratch his name and yours enclosed within a heart on five sugar cubes

4. Arrange the sugar cubes around the candle in the bowl

6. Visualize the fulfillment of your heart's desire as you light the candle

7. Repeat this ritual every night for five consecutive nights and your heart's desire will come to you!

Intriguing and interesting isn't it? So if I really have that much power to make things happen, why not make myself rich and famous (a bestselling author, maybe?) with say, someone like Brad Pitt as a lover? (oops, he's taken!)

Well it's fun to research, so I say go and conjure up what ever your heart desires!

(Maybe I should have stuck with talking about opening lines!)

Kaye

9 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

LOL - research is fun, isn't it? That's a complicated procedure. I got to the bit about the sugar cubes and thought of all the ways I could muck up. :)

Cari Quinn said...

Magic is SO fascinating. I've collected wizard figurines since I was young, and just recently toyed with a story twisting some of the myth of Merlin. And the idea of conjuring spells to get your heart's desire...sounds like a writer's playground to me. ;)

Catherine Bybee said...

Good health, love and family. That is what I wish for... Isn't it fun though. The making anything possible in our books!

Christina Phillips said...

Research is huge fun (although very time consuming!) and it's just fascinating all the intriguing little bits that turn up and somehow find a way into our books!!

Linda Banche said...

There are books with spells in them? Where did you find them?

Debs said...

I think I could do with one of these spells to help with my editing. Great fun.

Suzanne Jones said...

Great post and great opening line. I love magic.

:-)

Suzanne Brandyn said...

Sounds like you're enjoying the research.
Yes, can you send me a spell my way to help me with my next wip. lol... it would be muchly appreciated. lol..:)

Kaye Manro said...

Thanks to all for commenting on this post! It's interesting research to say the least!