3/12/09

Much To Do About... Everything!


There is so much going on now that I'm swamped with ideas... ideas for stories, ideas about how not to create a story, info dumping, character development, what to do and not do.

Already learned stuff, yeah. But well worth reviewing. A writer never stops learning for sure, or expanding horizons. The old saying, the more we write the better we get holds true, but beware of habits that die hard. For instance, how is your sentence structure? Do you have some bad habits to overcome? Like using passive voice, or too many helping verbs? Well, now is the time to tackle that area. It's so easy to fall into the pattern of writing the same way. Unless we stop ourselves and correct it. And then practice.

How about info dumping or back-story dump? Even seasoned authors admit to this, at least in their first draft. Ahh, but there's the thing-- again, writing begins with rewriting. And most of us if we are practiced, can catch the dumping on a read through and cut, change, delete
.

Targeting a market, say a line at a certain publisher? Oh yeah. If I want to write for a line, I target it. So what exactly does that mean? For me it means reading religiously the line I choose to target, studying the way the stories/books are formulated, structured, and written. What type of plots they want, characters, action or not, everything! Then I write, geared to the line. Does it work? It does for many. And I truly believe it is the main way to get published with a particular line. The not so good news is we could/may/probably will get rejected -- at first. But still I believe in another old saying, persistence pays in the end. And we will get our stories published if we work at it and don't give up.

With that said, here is a bit of good news about a few of my writer friends:

Christina Phillips new Scarlet book, Touch of the Demon will release at The Wild Rose Press! Congrats to Christina. Join her release party at her blog tomorrow, Friday the 13th, and look for her here on March 17th!

Catherine Bybee's new book cover Kilt Worthy, a TWRP Scarlet is now finished! Check it out on her blog. It's terrific! Congrats to Catherine. Looking forward to your release date!

Write well and often.

Kaye

10 comments:

Genella deGrey said...

Hi Kaye!

It seems the opposite works for me. I write like a mad woman and have a nice cache of stories ready and waiting. Then I venture forth and match the publishing house to each of my stories.

And then we wait. And wait. And wait.

LOL - but that's all part of the process, isn't it?

:)
G.

Debs said...

I'm in the middle of editing and can't believe the amount of mistakes I've found

Congratulations to Christina and Catherine.

Cari Quinn said...

Great post! I'm dealing with a wave of ideas lately, Kaye, so I completely relate. Seems overwhelming sometimes, but us writers thrive on this madness, I think. :)

Best of luck to Christina and Catherine on their upcoming releases!

Christina Phillips said...

Thanks for the congrats, Kaye! I'm looking forward to being here on Tuesday!

Catherine's cover is soooo hot!!!

Thanks for the good wishes, Debs and Cari!

Shelley Munro said...

When I look back at my older books I think I can see the changes in my writing. Change, I think, is good. I enjoy learning more and taking online classes to improve my writing.

Kaye Manro said...

Thanks to all for the comments. It's great that everyone has their own way of writing. Makes for all that diversity out there!

Catherine Bybee said...

Oh, Kaye... You're so sweet to put my link up there. I'm going to head over to pick up Christina's latest myself. I have a few wilder roses to catch up on. My hard drive is full of stuff I've yet to read. UGH! I think that Kindle 2 is calling out to me. My Birthday is coming up. And my son turned 13 today. Making me feel really old. yep... think I deserve that Kindle. Grin

Helen Hardt said...

Hi Kaye -- first of all, congratulations, Christina! I'm very excited to read TOTD. And Catherine, I'm looking forward to yours, as well. That's such a HOT cover! Be sure and let me know when you get a release date; I'd love to have you guest on my blog.

I've tried targeting a particular line, but the story always ends up going its own way, LOL. I just hope I can find the perfect home for each of my efforts.

Charles Gramlich said...

That's much the way I feel when I get time to actually focus on writing. The ideas come fast and furious and it's very energizing. Unfortunately there then comes the inevitable day job troubles and things come to a standstill.

Suzanne said...

Some great advice here, Kaye - thanks for posting. It's always fascinating (and very informative) to read how other writers work.

Congratulations to Christina and Catherine.

:-)