1/31/09

Good Romance


Winter storm watches with freezing record lows prevail here in the northeast (USA). And I have the strongest instinct to just hibernate until it's over! But that doesn't mean not writing. In fact, since I'm not at all fond of wintertime outdoor activities, this is a great time to cuddle in and write.


During these cold days, I've noticed that several writer friends are talking about heroes and heroines, what traits make up a good character, and more. Maybe that's because creating love in our stories warms us up! And while we are on the subject, what exactly constitutes a really good romance is being discussed more often lately.

There are many good ideas floating around out there. I can't help but be reminded of the first thing I learned from RWA about writing romance. That is, the love/conflict and developing relationship between the hero and heroine is the story, the plot. Sub plots and secondary characters, be they ever so complex, are still not the main story.

February, the romance writer's favorite love month is approaching fast. Although it's been said as many times as there are romance books out there, I wonder what you think constitutes a good romance-relationship-hero/heroine connection? I'd love to hear your take on this subject, so let me know, will you?

And while we are waiting for the sunshine, how about checking this out:

RED HEART/BLACK HEART CONTEST

Here's a great free contest to either celebrate or destroy love. There are six categories:

Love Poem
Black-Hearted Love Poem
Love Letter
Rejection Love Letter
Essay on Love at First Sight
Essay on Lost Love

The deadline is February 6, so get on over to www.writersdigest.com/redheartblackheart to learn all the details.

Until next time-- and don't forget to let me know your take on what you think is good romance!

Kaye

8 comments:

Debs said...

Thanks for the link, I'll go and have a look.

Dianne said...

This sounds like a good contest to enter.

Suzanne said...

I hate being cold. We're in for a snowstorm this weekend. Can't wait for spring.

Thanks for the link.

Tonya Renee Callihan said...

We are supposed to get 24-26 inches of snow starting Monday, it'll be a great time for me to write. Thanks for the link too!

I hate when I read a story that otherwise would be great, but the heroine is weak and clingy and whines a lot. I love when the heroine is in some sort of trouble, but she's strong as well. She just needs the hero to help her get through it.

As for the hero I want him dark, dangerous, and mysterious, but sweet and caring at the same time.

Helen Hardt said...

Good question! I'm not sure I could say -- each h/h relationship is unique. But what makes a book stand out for me is the chemistry and sexual tension between the h/h, whether the book is sweet or erotic. You know the kind -- they're crazy about each other, even if they won't admit it. When they're together, they can't keep their hands off each other. When they're apart, they're thinking about each other. Though conflict -- be it internal, external or both -- is keeping them apart, neither is fully whole without the other.

Helen

Christina Phillips said...

Phew, the temperature keeps rising here in Oz!!! Later in the week it's forecast to be nudging 100 degrees!!

Another great question, Kaye. I agree with Helen - the chemistry and sexual tension between h/h is what keeps me turning the pages.

No matter how strong and Alpha the hero is, the heroine has the power to bring him to his knees, and I love the moment when they both realise that THIS PERSON is the one they've been waiting for their entire life (or many lives...lol!)

Kaye Manro said...

Thanks Christina and Helen for making this subject crystal clear.

I don't like reading wimpy heroines either, Tonya.

And being cold is not my favorite thing, Suzanne.

You're welcome for the link, Dianne and Debs. Good luck if you decide to enter.

Cari Quinn said...

Good question, Kaye, although I can't add anything to the great answers that have already been given. But I will second that strong sexual tension is key! :)