7/27/08

Blessings and Curses


Ruminations from the idea maker...

It's a lazy Sunday morning after a late night of Jazz music, coffee, tea and scones with my friends at a favorite speciality cafe. This is the very cafe you will sometimes find me during off days, sitting in a back corner easy chair, laptop buzzing.

Today, I'm home in my PJ's catching up online and planning some strategic revisions of my own for a story I'm working. I visited a few other writers blogs and something hit me as I read. A few are doing revisions from editors, others are thinking about how they started writing. Then I began ruminating about where I am with my writing and where I'm going with it.

It's true, as I've heard often from other writers and even my own critique group, I'm blessed because ideas for stories seem to flow easy for me. I can come up with an idea, write a short synopsis and then a blurb so quick it feels like a light speed attack. Tons of ideas come to me that way. All before I put a word of the story down. I don't know if this is a gift or a curse. Because sometimes I am muse-less after I get attacked by an idea.

I still have to work hard to get the story, the characters, the plot, the conflict out. And all those hooks don't come easy for sure.

Then there are revisions. For me, I revise, rewrite, do over, cut and layer so much even my crit partners tell me to stop. I've been fondly called the cut queen by several writers. This is all before I ever think about submitting! Am I a perfectionist? You bet. Is it good to be this way? That's a debatable question. You can work and rework a story until it either shines, or it's just too overdone.

I think a good point here is to find a happy medium road. Just do the best work you can and submit it as quickly as possible. You will either get a contract or a rejection. Either way, you will learn a lot about yourself and your writing.

Keep on writing!

Kaye


9 comments:

Dianne said...

Okay, so I'm here in cyberspace today too. I'm glad you are admitting you can sometimes overwork a story. As your friend and co-worker, I'm familar with your writing. And I love your stories. Why don't you love them more?

Cari said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cate said...

Writing is a blessing and a curse! You have that right.

Johnny said...

Good post, Kaye. I like to think of writng as a curse more than a blessing. But that's just me with my dark sci-fi.

Cari said...

I've often thought it would be the next thing on my list of careers to be a novelist. Romance in particular. I sometimes write performing arts articles. So I guess I should go and practice my writing. I'm no stranger to a good practice!

Kaye Manro said...

Thanks for the feedback, Dianne. Well I do like my stories. Does that count?

Cate and Johnny glad to see you here again.

And welcome to blogging, Cari. Your dancer site looks great.

Linda Banche said...

Hi Kaye,

You sound a lot like me. I also get a great idea, write a quick synopsis, and lots of pages that come out pretty well the first time.

Then I have to fill in the holes, and that's the hard part. I'm in the hard part right now with a Halloween story I'm writing.

But at least for me, I find that when I rewrite, the story does get better, even if it doesn't seem that way at the time. Sounds like you do the same thing, so keep plugging.

Kaye Manro said...

I understand exactly what you mean, Linda. And we both are just going to keep plugging. Sounds good to me!

Amanda said...

Good post! I think my ideas are so much that I can't get the stories out the way I want. But I'm working on it.