4/8/08

Finishing Touches

View of the Planet Asconage from Endangered

I'm working on the final edits for Endangered, my sci-fi novella. I'm still thinking of turning it into a full length novel. I have some unique plot ideas that would expand it and make it even more of an adventure story. Though the basic story sub-plots are the same, I have two versions, one is highly sensual with more of an erotic edge, and the other follows along a typical romance relationship development line. I like them both.

My thoughts today are falling along the lines of-- should I expand, or should I leave it as it stands now? I have this continuing plot idea, though not entirely worked out yet, of what happens to T'kon and Maya when they get to Asconage, T'kon's home planet. It's not in the novella, which ends with the two of them on his ship heading out of Earth's orbit, T'kon devising a plan to sneak Maya back to Earth when it's safe...

“...It is time for you to leave," said T'Kon. "I have scanned the perimeter outside the craft and all is clear. But you must depart quickly for the window of opportunity is diminishing.”
Maya shook her head. “I’m not going. I’m not leaving you.”
He took a step closer. Lifting his hand, he lightly touched her. “You must.”
“No,” she said, her voice cracking.
He sighed as a rumble rose in his throat. “I cannot take you with me.”

But why not? True, T'kon's Reptilian planet has little water, lots of deserts and is 140 degrees in the shade. But why not find a way? Think of the adventures they could have. The conflict figuring out how she is to survive on his world, not to mention that his planet prohibits other species relationships...

Think of the possibilities.
So what is your writing dilemma today?

8 comments:

Cate said...

I like the idea of expanding this story. It sort of lends itself to that anyway. Good Luck!

Amanda said...

I'd go with expanding. I know its more work, but hey, it sounds like it would be great.

Johnny said...

This sounds like a cool idea. I don't know if you should continue on or not. It's up to you. I have a novella that I plan to make into a novel, so I'd probably say do it.

Julie said...

I simply love this story idea. If you can, do the novel version.

Dianne said...

Darn good idea to turn this into a novel. My delimma doesn't involve writing at the moment!

Mona said...

Why not? Think of the possiblities... As you already said.

My writing problem has to do with my main character. He doesn't seem to want to do what I want him to do!

Semi-Professional Muse for Hire said...

Hi Kaye! I haven't seen you around the coffee shop lately, but I wanted to let you know that I'm still around, writing, and I have a blog over at bloodlossgirl.blogspot.com which will soon see some rejuvenation. And content.

And I say expand.

Hope to see you soon!

Kaye Manro said...

It's good to hear from you, Heather, muse-for-hire! That's a wicked awesome photo of you. Been missing you at the coffee shop too. We must come at different times...

I'm glad you are still writing and blogging. I'll check out your blog at:

http://bloodlossgirl.blogspot.com

See ya soon.