2/25/08

Along the coast of Maine, circa 1930



As we near the end of our romantic February month, I can't help but think about what genre romance is as opposed to mainstream fiction. I know I've pounded this topic in the ground before, and recently.(That is, the developing love between the hero and heroine comes first, no matter the sub genre, the plot comes second. Plot has to be there and be good too, but the romance has to be the main theme. And romances are character driven.) I'm reminded of my early short stories and how I wrestled with this concept. I've always been an incurable romantic, no doubt. But I didn't always have the ability to express the illusive conflict-growing love-thing between hero and heroine in a romance story. As I work, I get better at it, thank goodness! Yet still, sometimes it's a challenge to find that perfect balance. So in honor of my own growth as a romance author and this end-of-February time, I'm going to share an early version of a story I once wrote. This particular story truly was a labor of love for me if ever there was one. That's because I toiled over edits and rewrites so much. I cut my writing teeth, developed my voice in stories like this. And isn't that what it takes to become the best writer we can be? It never stops does it? I still toil over edits and revisions, but at least I have a better idea of how to craft a romance.

Note: The short story (Welcome To Sandbar Coast) is no longer on my blog. If you email me I will be glad to share it with you.

Kaye

7 comments:

Johnny said...

Nicely done, kaye!

Barrie said...

I've tried my hand at romance. It is tough to write well. Good job, Kaye!

Kaye Manro said...

Thanks Barrie! Yes it is tough to master. The thing to remember is in romance, the developing love story between the hero and heroine comes first, no matter the sub genre, the plot comes second. Plot has to be there and be good too, but the romance has to be the main theme. And most romances are character driven. Maybe I should post this tidbit inside the main comment?

And I can't wait to read your book when it comes out!

Dianne said...

I love this story! And I can see those shades of Barefoot Dancer here. Good job-- did you publish this one?

Cate said...

It is tough to balance the love story and the plot in a romance. Thanks for reminding us how it's done.

Anonymous said...

Writing romance is fun, but it sure isn't as easy as some people think it is. And we do have to be good writers, maybe even better than in most genres. The competition is stiff.

Mona said...

darn, Kaye-- this is really good! I just got a chance to read it.