1/29/08

What Would You Do?

Mostly I post about writing and my own experiences with it on my blog. I do post about other things too from time to time...

Yet I started this blog basically for writing and working on my own stories as inspiration for me and other writers too. So I do want to keep that in mind. But maybe I should change it or start a new blog.

One of my favorite romance authors, Suzanne McMinn gives out some eye-opening advice for writers about blogging on
http://www.dandelionblog.com/ in an article called "Blogging Outside the Box."

Following Suzanne's advice, in a nutshell, we should post more interesting stuff about our lives and what we are doing, our interests, etc. rather than pigeon hole ourselves, appealing only to a few writers, and not a vast array of other people-- who in turn, can learn other things about us and want to read our books. Should we downplay our writer self and give out other tidbits to feast on? The article contains good marketing advice. Here's the tough one for me-- we should post everyday. Everyday! That's so our fellow blog followers won't forget us and want to see what we are doing. These are good ideas.

I admit it-- I find most blogs boring. (By the way, Suzanne's blog is not one of them! Check it out at: http://suzannemcminn.com/blog/) Many blogs just ramble on and on about uninteresting things, not useful things, trite things. But the idea here is to come up with stuff that people who surf for blogs find helpful and captivating.

So what do you think? What are your own ideas on blogging? Do you think we should inspire others with our daily lives? Should I change my approach and content? It's something about which to think...

Kaye

8 comments:

Dianne said...

There are some things to think about here. I read Suzanne's article at dandelion. I also agree that her blog is good. But here's my advice, for what it's worth! I think each person needs to think about what they intend for their blog to be. And for you, I'd say to keep on posting with both kinds of content. At least for now.

Mona said...

Posting on blogs... posting on blogs... posting on blogs...

I do like writer's blogs and websites that talk about how to write. But then again, I'm trying to be a writer myself, so I seek that out. I can't tell anyone how to go about blogging. Especially if you are trying to market yourself. For fun, I'd say write what feels good to you on your blog.

Johnny said...

I think starting a daily journal is a thing for anybody to do, what with everyone blogging these days.

But I was under the impression that blogging was a good tool to promote yourself as a writer too. If so wouldn't it be the best thing to talk about writing? If you want to talk about other subjects why not do that on a different blog.

I haven't started one yet, and if I did, I wouldn't know what to say, lol. Writer's block and all that.

Kaye Manro said...

I'm glad to see you responding here. It always helps to hear what others think. Thanks to all.

Cate said...

Speaking of blogging, it's just one of those things. Some blog to promote themselves no matter what they are selling-- be it books or hair products and everything in between. Others blogs because they find it fun and simply like to do it. As for you, Kaye, I'd say combining writing material with a touch of personal fun type info is a good idea until you have your website up and running. Then you can think about what you want your blog to say and do.

Julie said...

A late lunch time for me, and here I am blog hopping. Some good ideas to ponder, sparks of interest to think about.

Amanda said...

This is all fairly new to me, so I'd just like to check things out and then someday I'll blog, or start a website... dreaming... write a novel...

marybethlee said...

Hi Kaye! I LOVE Suzanne's blog, and I think she's right about what works and what doesn't with blogs.:-)